Information for Establishing Foreign Schools
Introduction on System
Definition of Foreign Schools
- Established for the educational purpose of foreign children,
Koreans who have lived abroad for over 3 years and children of the persons who have acquired korean nationality are deemed difficult to proceed with regular elementary and secondary school education which must follow Elementary and Secondary Education Act
Establishment and Authorization
- Establishment and Authorization: Superintendents ※ Under "Article 4-2 of the Primary and Secondary Education Act", anyone who wishes to obtain establishment and authorization of foreign schools need to apply with official documents showing Article 3 of Enforcement Decree Act of Primary and Secondary Education Act along with means to secure faculty members.
- Establishment Entity: Foreigners, Foreign non-profit organizations, Local School Corporates
- Establishment Criteria: Standard of property and facilities required for the establishment and operation of foreign schools must follow
"the Act on Establishment and Operation of High Schools and/or Lower Education Level",
Under Article 12 of Enforcement Decree of same law (Each School's Facilities) authorized sites may be changed as long as there is no impact on education (Contact each provincial office of education for details),
school building and land may lease property of nation or local government under Article 4 of regulations on the establishment and operation of schools and kindergartens for foreigners.
Guidance and Supervision
- Superintendent of Education has supervising authority, whilst respecting the autonomy of operation.
- Exclusion of Application of Evaluation, Faculty Eligibility, Curriculum, Textbook, Accounting under Article 60-2 of the Primary and Secondary Education Act.
- Educational curriculum and faculty eligibility terms of the country applied.
- Tuition and Admission Fee.
- Payment regarding tuition and admission fee must follow school rules and regulations (To prevent unjust interference of the supervisory office).
Benefits Including Tax Relief
- Upon establishment authorization, transfer tax, VAT, property tax and others may be exempt.
Recognition of Domestic Academic Achievement
- Schools can accept recognition of domestic academic achievment upon authorization of Superintendent of Education.
- Domestic academic achievement is recognized for students who complete 102 hours of Korean language and social studies(national history) each year.
- Foreign children, Koreans who have lived abroad for over 3 years and children of the persons who have acquired Korean nationality and is deemed difficult to proceed with regular elementary and secondary school education
- *Domestic students can be permitted up to 30% of the total students and under authorization of Superintendent of Education, it may be increased up to 50%.
- Submit application
- Application documents: May differ by schools, but general requirements include proof of entry, passport, health record, previous transcripts, certified English test scores, etc.
- May apply annually, but admission starts every quarter.
- Application for admission process (document review, interviews, etc.) and result notification