Introduction on System
Purpose of Introducing This System
- The system of foreign educational institution aims to foster an environment for foreign investment in such specific areas as Free Economic Zones and Jeju Special Self–Governing Province by improving the educational environment for foreigners in Korea according to the relevant laws and regulations.
- The superintendent of education
※In order to a foreign educational foundations intends to establish a foreign educational institution, it must meet the establishment standards prescribed by Presidential Decree, such as facilities and equipments, and obtain approval from the Minister of Education (University) and the superintendent of education (Elementary and Secondary School) with the recommendation from a person specified in article 5 of the Special Act.
- Persons eligible to establish foreign educational institutions shall be limited to foreign school foundations*(Article 4 of the Special Act on Establishment and Management of Foreign Educational Institutions in Free Economic Zones and Jeju Free International City)
* The term ‘foreign school foundation’ refers to a state or local autonomous government, or a non-profit foundation that has established and operated a kindergarten, primary, secondary, or higher educational institution in a foreign country under the pertinent foreign laws or regulations (Article 2 of the Special Act on Establishment and Management of Foreign Educational Institutions in Free Economic Zones and Jeju Free International City)
Permitted Areas of Establishment
- Free Economic Zones (Article 22 of the Special Act on Designation and Management of Free Economic Zones) Incheon, Gwangyang Bay Area, Busan · Jinhae, Gyeonggi, Daegu · Gyeongbuk, EastCoast, Gwangju, and Ulsan (as of Dec. 2020)
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province (Article 220 of the Special Act on the Establishment of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province and the Development of Free International City)
- Pyeongtaek–si (Article 27 of the Special Act on Support for Pyeongtaek-si, etc. Following Relocation of U.S. Military Bases in Korea)
- Areas adjacent to districts granted to the United States Armed Forces in Korea (Article 18 of the Special Act on Support for Areas, etc. adjacent to Districts Granted to the United States Armed Forces in Korea)
- Districts of International Science and Business Belt (Article 42 of the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belt)
- Saemanguem Project Area (Article 61 of the Special Act on Promotion and Support for Saemangeum Project)
Guidance and Supervision
- According to Article 9(Guidance and Supervision) of the Foreign Educational Institutions Act, the Minister of Education has the authority to guide and supervise universities, and the Superintendent of Education has the authority to guide and supervise elementary and secondary schools.
Recognition of Domestic Academic Achievement
- Schools can accept recognition of local academic background upon authorization of Superintendent of Education that fall under categories of Elementary/Middle/High School in Article 2 of Act on Elementary/Middle School Education - Local students must complete two hours of Korean language and history weekly.
- No restrictions
**(Ratio of domestic students) In the case of foreign educational institutions for elementary and secondary schools, domestic students can be permitted up to 30% of the total students and under authorization of Superintendent of Education, it may be increased up to 50%.
Related LawsEvaluation and Management
- Special Act On Establishment And Management Of Foreign Educational Institutions In Free Economic Zones And Jeju Free International City
- Accounting information of foreign educational institutions(Ministry of Education Notice No. 2014-49)
- Special Act on Designation and Operation of the Free Economic Zone
- Special Act on the establishment of Jeju Self-Governing Province and the Free Economic Zone
- Special Act on Development of Enterprise City
- Special act on support of Pyeongtaek
- Special act on support of area near near USFK
- Special act on Gongju Enter price city construction
- Special act on International Science and Business Belt Central District
- Special act on Saemangeum Business